designer, author, speaker
"What is design, if not 'connection' made manifest?"
Justin is an internationally renown design leader, author, and speaker from Chicago.
You'll find him often engaging with the AIGA's speaking events, interviewed in Forbes magazine and Medium's "Forge" publication, and penning articles for Aquent, CEO World Magazine, and A List Apart. He speaks internationally on culture and design, including keynotes at the UXPA International conference, Midwest UX, and St. Louis Design Week. Justin is also the writer of the celebrated book "Creative Culture" and a former VP of Design at CVS Health.
photo by Ayano Hisa
The Designer's Journey
Justin's 2nd book has an eye on the bigger picture on our connection to design—and design as connection in and of itself. The designer’s legacy isn’t built upon their choice of tools. The designer’s legacy is built upon the choices they make—as macro and micro as that implies.
Leveraging the power of storytelling, In Fulfillment covers practical, real-world examples and tactics to ensure your fulfillment serves as a guide toward where, what, and why you create.
Human-Centered Interaction, Design, & Inspiration
The first edition of Justin's 2017 book Cultivating a Creative Culture was written around a core concept: empathy, humility, and creativity at the office—permeating how we treat one another, support one another, and the collective influence upon how we create.
It's upon that last notion, 'how we create,'' where this second edition further focuses on the parallels between "making" and "interacting.” Process and practice. Design and culture.
- MidwestUX '18 opening keynote
- Big Design Conference '20
- AIGA Portfolio Festival '20
- UX Camp '21
- IxDC Beijing '21
- UXPA Int'l '21 opening keynote
- Leading Design (New York) '22
- STL Design Week '22 closing keynote
- LA Design Festival '23
- Video Workshop for MentorBox
- Indie Author Day
- Futurice's "Design Day"
- UXPA Dallas
- NYC UXPA
- AIGA El Paso
- South Florida UX (SOFLUX)
- NH UXPA
- UXPA Boston
- User Defenders Community
- AIGA Central Coast
- AIGA Cinncinatti
- AIGA Pittsburgh
- UXPA Minnesota
- Registered Association of Graphic Designers (RGD)
- UXPA New Jersey
- UXPA Kansas City
- Tampa Bay UX
- UXPA UK
- Houston UXPA
- Triangle UXPA
Articles and podcasts
- Aquent: "Set healthy boundaries by example"
- Aquent: "Put people first in your hiring process"
- Aquent: "Design roles with intention"
- Aquent: "Finding fulfillment at work"
- Aquent: "An HCD approach to onboarding"
- Forbes: "Creativity and Chaos"
- A List Apart: "Resetting Agency Culture"
- Medium's "Forge" pub: "How to Tell an Employee..."
- UX Matters column: "The Designer in Focus"
- Training Indusry: "3 Pandemic Self-care Tips"
- CEO World Magazine: "Investing in Culture
- Speckyboy Design Mag: "Resume Design Usability"
- A List Apart Sidebar: "Color You Responsible"
- Conscious Connection: "Cultural Business Shift"
- A List Apart Sidebar: "Transition of Fulfillment"
- Speckyboy Design Mag: "Video Game Usability"
- Design Atlas Chats
- User Defenders Dialogue
- AIGA "Design Future Live"
- Funsize "Hustle Podcast" #83
- Creative Life Interview
- Design Leadership Podcast
- Growing Design Podcast #20
- Design Shifters #10
- What is UX? Podcast #9
- Time 4 Coffee #483
- InfoQ "Culture and Methods"
- The Reflex Blue Show #210
- The Big Web Show #161
- The Innovation Show #169
- Creative Agency #36
- On Brand Podcast
- User Defenders SE
- The Reflex Blue Show #171
- LifeSelfMastery #98
- User Defenders #50
- The Big Web Show #121
- Sales Evangelist #1143
Connect with Anomali by Design
Call (+1 800.785.0140) or drop us a line: